Wednesday, February 18, 2009

The Sweetest Thing

My friend Perry Norton sent me an exquisite poem on Valentine's Day as a source of comfort and inspiration. Perry owns her own voiceover company, so be sure to pay her a visit.


YOU SEE I WANT A LOT by Rainer Maria Rilke

You see, I want a lot.
Perhaps I want everything:
the darkness that comes with every infinite fall
and the shivering blaze of every step up.

So many live on and want nothing
and are raised to the rank of prince
by the slippery ease of their light judgments.

But what you love to see are faces
that do work and feel thirst.

You love most of all those who need you
as they need a crowbar or a hoe.

You have not grown old, and it is not too late
to dive into your increasing depths
where life calmly gives out its own secret.


************************

No comments: