Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Pinwheels, Baby!

I just opened my living room window to see what the weather was like. Days like this you just can't tell. I woke up to a chilly apartment and had to put the heat on, but it's 2 p.m. now and have to go out. Will I need a jacket?

Turns out my curiosity led to a slightly different discovery. As I opened the window, down below was a sanitation guy who does street sweeping, not with the big vehicle but with a broom and a trash can on wheels.

What was striking about him was that he'd taped a large pinwheel on the front of his trash can, which had an effortless and speedy spin. And in the couple of minutes I watched him, he stopped and had a short conversation with a friend, then waved hello to a passing car.

So often, we can look right past guys like him, and even feel sorry for them, assuming their job is one of drudgery and boredom.

But man, was I wrong. When was the last time I taped a pinwheel to something?

No comments: